Followers

Sunday, January 20, 2019

Upcycled Love

Hi Everyone,

Hope the first month of the year is treating all of you with happiness and growth. I am having very hectic schedules with the marriage season blooming in both sides of my family (My Own family and My In Law side).

Two years back if you met me, I would never belong to the category of the 'upcycle' girl. If a bag tore or a zipper wore out, my first instinct would be to get rid of the bag and get a new one if needed! The same phenomenon applied to practically everything in my life (except human beings :P ...hahhaha)

But post my sabbatical from work and crafting full time I have recycled and upcycled many things. Thats also after my Decoupage skills were brushed by many mentors who are friends and my regular practice gave me confidence to play around and take risks that I would have never thought of few years back with respect to Crafting!!

Hence, today as part of my second inspiration for this month's challenge at TTC I decided to upcycle some love. Love of my husband and a dear friend I made last year through the CraftyFeast.

This month's challenge as you all must be now aware of is - Something Old, Something New, Something Borrowed/Gifted and Something Blue.

I have upcycled my birthday gift from husband - a mobile cover (Something Old). I loved the original but the design was wearing off and I didn't want to throw away something my husband gave me so I thought what best but create new memories in addition to the old ones.



I first sanded off the entire base and then applied two coats of white gesso allowing it to dry for a good 3-4 hours between each layer.


Once completely dry, I stuck the fussy cut design of a sassy looking lady from the Bob N Betty Decopatch papers that was gifted by a dear friend Deepika Sharma (Something Gifted).




I have then taken my fvaourite Memory Box Stencil (Something Old) and my new Pebeo-Studio Acrylics (Something New) in the colours Blue (Something Blue), Green and Gold to create patterns around the lady. These new acrylics in my craft room have an in built shimmer and they look gorgeous in any project that they are added to!


Once dry, I have taken the sentiment 'Hey Smartypants' from my new stamp set (Something New) and stamped it with black Archival Ink. 

After allowing sometime for the ink to dry, I have generously applied two coats of varnish allowing 3-4 hours of drying time between the layers. 



Now I have a totally awesome upcycled mobile cover .....I enjoyed making this project ...and I hope you enjoyed reading about it and get inspired to try your hands with something similar!!! Also I hope I have inspired you enough to join us with this month's challenge at TTC.

Happy Crafting
Saumya

No comments: