Followers

Saturday, May 30, 2020

Tray and Coasters with Craftreat Poppy Garden Decoupage Papers

Hi Everyone,

My fellow DT members have been creating some amazing projects to keep you inspired, if you haven't seen them then you should take a peek at them.

Today, am showcasing Craftreat's Poppy Garden Decoupage Papers. The papers were so gorgeous that I was tempted to make myself a set of tray and coaster combo. 

Tray:


I have taken an old tray and revamped it. The Original Tray was first given two coats of white gesso allowing 3-4 hours drying time between each layer. After the second layer of gesso was dry, I have used red chalk paint to colour the tray. 

I felt the red looked too bright and the paper had a slight vintage tone to it so I applied a one step crackle medium over the red paint and allowed it dry completely. 


After that I have applied a coat of mustard yellow chalk paint. As the mustard yellow chalk paint started to dry, the cracks appeared revealing the red paint below.  Then I took some red paint on my fingers and distressed the edges of the tray to give some definition to it. 



To give a slight vintage look to match the papers I have used antique wax on the boarder of the tray. Once completely dry, I cut the Craftreat Poppy Garden Decoupage Paper to size and with the help of Mod Podge stuck it to the center of the tray. After allowing it to dry for 3-4 hours, I applied a generous two coats of Mod Podge over the Decoupage Page giving few hours of drying time between each layer.

Once dry, I generously applied two coats of Varnish on the entire surface of the tray and sealed it.



Coasters

I have taken MDF coasters and applied white gesso on all sides of each coaster and its holder and allowed it to dry.


After that I took the two plain self printed Decoupage Papers from the Craftreat Poppy Garden pack and cut them to size as per the coaster (3 red, 3 mustard yellow)

After that I took the other poppy garden print from the pack and fussy cut the flowers and leaves.


After I was satisfied with my idea, I stuck the plain self print red and mustard yellow papers to the coaster base with the help of Mod Podge. After a gap of 2 hours, I took a sanding paper and sanded off all the extra paper on the edges and also gave it a smooth finish. Then I took the fussy cut flowers and leaves and stuck them with the arrangement I liked with the help of Mod Podge.

Once all coasters were dry, I took my Staedtler Permanent Pen and enhanced the outline of all flowers and leaves. Having done that, I applied two generous coats of Mod Podge on top of it.



I have then applied chalk paints to all sides of the coasters. The coasters with red backdrop papers got mustard yellow paint all around them and the ones with yellow backdrop papers got red paint all around them.

After the chalk paint was dry, I have applied two generous coats of varnish on all sides of the coasters.



You can see the alternated colours of the coasters. For the Coaster Holder, I chose to go with the balance paper from the one used in the center of the Tray and the Yellow Plain self printed paper. So the front and back are same with the yellow paper as you can see above.


Side 1



Side 2



Top View- I coloured the top rim of the holder with Red Chalk Paint.



The Insides and the Back are Mustard Yellow Chalk Paints.




Hope you like what I have done with the Craftreat Poppy Garden Decoupage Papers!

Happy Crafting
Saumya


Products Used:






No comments: